[Asterisk-Users] Fast AGI Options. Eeeek!

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Wed Jan 25 20:59:33 MST 2006

Sure, I can connect to the database for each thread. That doesn't ensure thread safety tho. How can I be sure that there's not state information in DBD/DBI that's being shared (and possibly corrupted) between all perl threads? The Perl DBI docs specifically say it isn't thread safe.

What state am I speaking of? A good example is findme/followme. You want a database table that lists for a given extension, a new list of forwarded extensions to try. You want to execute a query, get the forwarded number to try to dial it. If you pass control back to the dialplan, and attempt to dial the number from there, if it fails to answer, then you have to call the AGI script again and execute another query, this time returning the second number. When you execute this second query, how are you going to maintain the state and remember that you have advanced to the next number/row in the table?

Obviously if you keep control inside the AGI script, and dial from there, you can maintain the state in the scripting language. If you pass control back to the dial plan, I don't know how you'd do it. I ask because when I posed the question before about whether or not you should execute queries in the AGI and return control to the dialplan, or keep control in the AGI, I was told that it's best to return control to the dial plan and Dial() from there.

Doug