[Asterisk-Users] E1 -> T1 native bridging for fax, will it work?

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Tue Jan 24 16:14:05 MST 2006

Hi list!

The stability of * with fax (or the lack of it) is causing me headaches.

To solve it, I was thinking to put a TE205P card in the * box, connect the
E1 pri on one port and a channelbank (I was thinking of the Rhino) on the
other port in T1 mode. (Has anyone tried this??)

The TE205P supports channel bridging which sounded like the ideal
(but not cheap) solution when combined with a channel bank.

When checking with Digium support if E1<->T1 bridging will work they
replied:
It is unlikely to work consistently with that configuration, because E1s
typically use alaw encoding and T1s typically use ulaw encoding, and the
ulaw->alaw conversion would be done in software, thereby making a native
bridge not possible.

This makes sense but raises several questions:
- even if * will do the software conversion will the quality of the
channel remain sufficient to provide rock solid faxing. Maybe the channel
bank is considerably better than the sipura's I have been using so far and
there would be no ethernet involved.

- are there any T1 channel banks that support alaw or would I be forced to
either buy an E1 channel bank or use a legacy PBX as channel bank

- who decides which encoding is used, zaptel or the channelbank (in other
words, if a T1 channel bank would support alaw, can I force alaw
only to guarantee native bridging?

Any help / input / thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Remco