[Asterisk-Users] Hardware recommendations

Gary Richardson gary.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:49:38 MST 2006

>From my understanding this is more like a 'Key' system than a 'PBX'.

You can make all you phones ring when a certain number is dialed. The
first one to pick up gets the call. I can't think of exactly what this
functionality is called, but I believe there are menus for it in
Asterisk at Home. Perhaps it's call groups?

You need to think of asterisk as a multiplexor -- you have x number of
lines coming in from the PSTN and y number of phones. Not all phones
are active at one time and it is completely indescriminate when it
comes to the next available line. It doesn't matter which line gets
picked up when you dial 9, just that you get an outside line.

You should be able to get your telco to assign the same phone number
on mutliple lines and it will ring through to the next available line
(similar to how a T1 works).