[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with SuSe 10

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Tue Jan 24 08:48:47 MST 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 09:26, Lee Archer wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with the Asterisk on a SuSe 10 platform?
> I'm currently using FC3 but because we use SuSe within other parts of
> the business I'm being pushed to changed the OS.
Just about all of my production Asterisk servers are on SuSE 9.3.  My
development and demo boxes are SuSE 10.  Both run great.  I do however
usually tweak the RPM that came with it to add in a few patches.  If you are
comfortable with running Asterisk 1.0.9 then the RPM works very well.  SuSE
always seems to really think things through when they package applications.

For running something newer than Asterisk 1.0.9 SuSE 10 is also works fine.
For your own sanity you'll want to not install/uninstall the SuSE Asterisk
RPMs.  One possible gotcha: be careful of possibly conflicting kernel modules
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra as the Zaptel drivers are not part of any
Asterisk package but rather the kernel.  The zaptel compile from source
installs modules to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc so you'll want to delete the
files in extra.  You'll also have to remember that each time you update the
kernel RPM.

Hope that helps.  The bottom line from me is Thumbs Up.

/BAK/