[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom boot times/XML files.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Jan 23 08:42:22 MST 2006

Andrew Furey wrote:

>Huh? My 7905 takes well under 10 seconds, including Asterisk
>registration and NTP update. Granted, if it were DHCP it might take
>marginally longer, but 5 _minutes_?

Yeah, the Polycoms *do* take a while to boot -- but not five minutes.
I've timed mine (Polycom 501's) and it's 1:25.  Ain't exactly zippy, but
for something that only reboots when I'm servicing it, it's acceptable.
Aside from that, I really dig the Polycom phones: good looks, good
audio, good menuing.  [Note: the x01's are a fair improvement over the
x00's, which took a smidge longer to boot, and had not-as-nice menus and
overall look-and-feel.]  As for someone complaining that you had to
hand-edit the XML files, instead of using a nice GUI... guess what:
that's what scripting is for.  I can tell you that I'll spend 15 minutes
to write a script, and be able to spawn it onto 50 phones in ten seconds
ANY DAY over having to fire up a browser to those same 50 phones.  And
God help you if you had a "real" number of phones to change.

For that matter, some day I'll get off my lazy a** and write something
that talks to the dhcpd.leases file and auto-provisions new phones.

-Ken