[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom FW

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 06:18:52 MST 2006

> I don't think you can beat the Polycom's for design, features, configuration options and functionality tho. :)

Polycoms (I only have experience with a ip500) have many qualities.
However, I think it's only a matter of time before entries at the
$180-$200 price point begin beating it in many ways.

Configuration? Yes, there are a zillion options, and many need to be
hand edited in XML. The web config interface is next to useless. The
Cisco/Linksys/Sipura already beats the Polycoms to a pulp on this
issue.

The menuing system badly needs to be redone by someone who uses a
phone every day. Way too many levels on common operations.

The physical design is superior, yes. The software design, sorry, no.
Audio quality is the high end reference, but lower end phones come
close.

Functionality? Nah, a lot of cheaper phones have more and easier to
use fonctionality. Again, the Sipura comes to mind.

My IP500 has had more spontaneous reboots than any phone I've ever
owned (many IAX2 phones do this from time to time bu they are all
using beta firmware).

<reminder>This is an opinion and should be thought of as carved in
stone. It may be of interest to people who have never seen any of
these phones though.</reminder>

IOW - YMMV