[Asterisk-Users] Installing the none commercial intel g729codecs into Asterisk@Home 2.2?

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 22 12:04:06 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 11:40 -0700, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Hang on.... there's a non commercial G729 codec that will work with Asterisk? Can someone point me to where I can find it?

non-commercial is a misnomer, the patent may still apply for your usage,
then again it may not.  The libraries that are used are intels IPP which
are free for non-commercial non-distribution purposes, if you want to
distribute you have to pay intel money, but that gives you the core from
which a patch file can be applied, that gives you an asterisk compatible
module, which does the g729 and g723 codecs.

In the US I can guarantee that the patent is valid, there are some
countries where it may not be, and others still where even if its valid
no one will enforce it.  Use of the intel IPP codecs without a license
can result in a lawsuit which can cost you more than buying the
appropriate codecs in the first place.

With that said modules compiled for 1.0.x however they have been
reported to work on 1.2.x are available at:
http://kvin.lv/pub/Linux/Asterisk

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378