[Asterisk-Users] SIP and NAT - best practices?

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Sat Jan 21 13:36:18 MST 2006

Most often the simple addition of nat=yes in the relevant sip.conf
stanza is all that's required to make a remote SIP phone work from
behind a firewall.

for example

[2201]
user=blah
secret=blah
auth=blah
allow=blah
host=dynamic
nat=yes

I've been running 4 remote SIP phones across the internet from my
families houses all over the world in this manner. The only issues I get
are those of bandwidth availability or rather occasional lack of it.

Hosted PBX's are no different. The hosting service should be providing a
similar mechanism (although it might not be Asterisk based).

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com