[Asterisk-Users] Building from scratch, would like the benefit of everyone's experience

Warren warren at icruise.com
Tue Jan 17 07:28:02 MST 2006

Hi all,

I am going to be building an Asterisk system to replace the current
aging (aged) Nortel Meridian system in a travel agency.  There is
already a voice T-1 in place and currently there are about 20 extensions
in use.  I would want to move up to about 25 extensions immediately and
about 30-35 within the year.

I am going to want IVR and voicemail, plus the ability to ring a group
of phones at once if the caller wants a salesperson.

Here is what I am thinking of so far:
Server: Dell PowerEdge 1850 with redundant power supplies and hardware
RAID 1 across 2 drives, running Centos 4.x - nice server with redundancy
and only 1U
T-1 Interface: Digium TE110P

I would like any comments about those choices and also some comments
about what phones would be good.  I can make the business case for
almost any reasonable budget - I just need to know what would be best
and if I need any other cards (Noise cancellation?) - If so I would
probably have to go to a 2U server like a 2850.

The phones are my biggest question mark right now.  I know basically
nothing about IP phones.  The only thing that I do know is that having 2
ethernet ports would be very helpful since there is only 1 network
connection per desk and that is already plugged into a PC.  I would like
phones that allow static IPs (which I assume all do) so that the
programmers can allow a Customer Service rep to bring up the sales
record(s) of the person they are on the phone with based on their phone
number.

Thanks for any help,
Warren