[Asterisk-Users] ZAP Digit Timeout

Geoff Manning gmanning at zoom.com
Fri Jan 13 14:40:58 MST 2006

We use

SetVar(TIMEOUT(digit)=8)

In our dialplan to make sure that the user is done dialing before Asterisk
executes the call. I just recently came across the piece I've copied below.
It says for new incoming ZAP connections, the default digit timeout is 3
seconds and can only be configured in the source code.

Is that true????

============

How long will Asterisk wait?
(http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Extension+Matching)

How long Asterisk will wait for more digits, before giving up and processing
the number as dialed so far, depends on two factors. First of all, it
depends on whether this is a new incoming connection or an established
connection.

* New incoming connections are those where Asterisk has not started
processing any Dialplan commands for the call yet. For Zap channels, this
means that someone has lifted the handset and started dialing a number, and
Asterisk is processing each digit as the user dials it, to determine which
extension in the Dialplan to go first.

* For new incoming connections, the second factor affecting how long
Asterisk waits for more digits before giving up is the type of channel that
the call is coming in on. Each channel type determines its own timeout
period. The Zap channel has a fixed timeout period of 3 seconds, and this
can not be changed without modifying the source code and recompiling the Zap
module.