[Asterisk-Users] TDMoE - best signalling method?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 09:40:40 MST 2006

I'm just experimenting with dynamic spans using TDMoE, which looks
ideal for clustering Asterisk boxes with low latency (i.e. 1ms for TDMoE
compared with 20ms for IAX).

When using normal E1s and T1s, I've always used ISDN signalling: either
EuroISDN or NI2. So naturally I tried that over the TDMoE. I've found
that I get a lot of HDLC errors and the D-channel is up and down like
a yoyo.

I'm wondering if perhaps HDLC signalling is too intolerant of the
occasional lost packet and whether one of the other signalling types
would be better. I don't understand the other methods, so I would be
grateful for any advice from those who have used TDMoE successfully.

On a -dev note, I see in ztdynamic.c that there is a sequence number
sent in each TDM frame, but that on the receive side this is never
checked for missing packets. .rxcnt in struct zt_dynamic is currently
unused. I'm going to put a check in there and a printk for unexpected
sequence numbers.

Cheers
Tony
--