[Asterisk-Users] Re: Nested MySQL Commands

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jan 11 21:23:52 MST 2006

Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Since about 1992... and the Asterisk docs for FastAGI are pretty rotten. But that's ok, I've come to expect that.

And what does that have to do with your question? Is it just more whining?

Your question clearly demonstrated that you understood the difference
between AGI and FastAGI being execution of a program (binary or
otherwise) vs. opening a TCP socket. You then claimed that you didn't
see how there could be any noticeable performance difference between the
two. This has absolutely nothing to do with Asterisk docs (or Asterisk
at all for that matter), it's basic Unix/Linux knowledge.

How about this: write yourself a bash script that runs some simple
program (that outputs a line of text) via normal execution 1,000,000
times, and compare it to a version that opens a TCP socket and receives
the same line of text from an existing script listening on that socket.
You'll probably be shocked at the difference, and that doesn't even take
into account database connections or any other 'expensive' operations.