[Asterisk-Users] SOLVED: Hung Zap channels connected to old key system

John Daragon john at argv.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 01:31:02 MST 2006

Philip Edelbrock wrote:

> We've got a Toshiba DK system w/ analog ports that went to a  voicemail
> server.  I swapped in an Asterisk box with a Digium 4-port  fxo card.
> It /almost/ worked perfectly.
>
> The problem is that Zap channels never hang up.  They have to time out.
>
> I set up MeetMe, but all Zap channels hung forever.  Very annoying.
> Same thing for FXO-to-FXO bridges.
>
> I figured out today why and fixed it.  Some proprietary voicemail
> systems (and probably tie-lines, too) like to use DTMF tones instead  of
> standard ground/loop/kewl whatever signaling.  Our key system was
> programmed to use such DTMF tones instead of the usual analog  signaling
> on those ports. (I think it was program 31 on our Toshiba  DK40i)
> Asterisk of course ignored those, but the other systems used  those for
> line signaling (including our previous 3rd party system).
>
> Amusingly, I know now why for years we kept hearing loud DTMF tones
> when our branch office picked up their phones.  Their system, too,  was
> configured to have those analog lines be connected to a voicemail
> system and not to a FXO port on a T1 CSU.

I've just come across a similar problem with a more modern SpliceCom
hybrid PBX. We have an * system connected to two analog (FXS) ports via
a couple of Sipura SPA3000 ATAs, and we thought the Sipuras were failing
to detect call termination.  Turns out that the default behaviour of an
FXS port on this PBX is *never* to hang up.

jd

John Daragon                                          john at argv.co.uk
argv[0] limited               (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)
Lambs Lawn Cottage,  Staple Fitzpaine,  Taunton,  TA3 5SL,  UK
v +44 (0) 1460 234068   f +44 (0) 1460 234069   m +44 (0) 7836 576127