[Asterisk-Users] SOLVED: Hung Zap channels connected to old key system

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Tue Jan 10 21:10:58 MST 2006

We've got a Toshiba DK system w/ analog ports that went to a
voicemail server.  I swapped in an Asterisk box with a Digium 4-port
fxo card.  It /almost/ worked perfectly.

The problem is that Zap channels never hang up.  They have to time out.

I set up MeetMe, but all Zap channels hung forever.  Very annoying.
Same thing for FXO-to-FXO bridges.

I figured out today why and fixed it.  Some proprietary voicemail
systems (and probably tie-lines, too) like to use DTMF tones instead
of standard ground/loop/kewl whatever signaling.  Our key system was
programmed to use such DTMF tones instead of the usual analog
signaling on those ports. (I think it was program 31 on our Toshiba
DK40i)  Asterisk of course ignored those, but the other systems used
those for line signaling (including our previous 3rd party system).

Amusingly, I know now why for years we kept hearing loud DTMF tones
when our branch office picked up their phones.  Their system, too,
was configured to have those analog lines be connected to a voicemail
system and not to a FXO port on a T1 CSU.

Phil