[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 removal

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 20:46:18 MST 2006

Almost certainly a memory leak in mpg123 is not the cause of a system
crash.  First off, there is no such leak.  Second even if there were
one
the mpg123 process is not long lived.  A new one is started for each
MOH session.

If mpg123 is causing the crash then it may be due simply because of
all the extra CPU time required to transcode the music.  If there are
10 lines on hold then there woud be 10 copies of mpg123 running
on the server.

As per the suggestion below it is smarter to transcode the music
file ONCE and save it.   "sox" is a pretty good transcoder.

Also, be carful what music files you use for MOH.  Rebroadcasting
copywrited music is not lega;.  If the "wrong" person happens to
call, be put on hold and hears your unlicensed MOH you could
get in trouble.  People who work in the entertainment industry
tend to be sensitive to this issue.  Use some "crative commons"
works and you will be OK.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+config+musiconhold.conf
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+mpg123+faking+it
>
> If you are using 1.2, I would use native (codec, not MP3).  There
> should
> be an example in the sample config file in
> /usr/src/asterisk/configs/musiconhold.conf.sample - I don't see it on
>
> the Wiki.  It should be there, somewhere.  Must be buried.  For this
> option, you will need to have the sound files in .ul, .gsm, or
> whatever
> codec you use mostly.  I only allow ulaw, so all of my MOH files are
> .ul.  This way it doesn't have to transcode at all.
>

> Kevin

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550