[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 removal

Kevin Bockman asterisk at wunderkin.com
Mon Jan 9 17:25:38 MST 2006

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> When I configured this server, I did not do the make mpg123 option.
> Months later, I read about it and did it, as the client was asking about
> MOH. About a week later the server crashed, which it never has before. I
> believe mpg123 have a memory leak.
> What's  the best way to remove it, and is there an alternative that is
> stable?

rm /usr/bin/mpg123 or something like that

There are a few solutions to MOH:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+config+musiconhold.conf
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+mpg123+faking+it

If you are using 1.2, I would use native (codec, not MP3).  There should
be an example in the sample config file in
/usr/src/asterisk/configs/musiconhold.conf.sample - I don't see it on
the Wiki.  It should be there, somewhere.  Must be buried.  For this
option, you will need to have the sound files in .ul, .gsm, or whatever
codec you use mostly.  I only allow ulaw, so all of my MOH files are
.ul.  This way it doesn't have to transcode at all.

Kevin