[Asterisk-Users] Incoming Zap channels not behaving as expected. Rejecting call on channel....

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:41:00 MST 2006

On 1/9/06, Beau Hargis <beauh at bluefrogmobile.com> wrote:
> I have been messing with Asterisk for months and got it working well
> with a SIP connection, but this is the first time I have set it up with
> TDM cards. The cards are configured, working and the T-1's (configured
> for PRI/DCHAN) and I can even call into it if I add the DNIS as an
> extension to default context. That is the oddity.

It's not odd, as to Asterisk a T1 is just another interface (just like
your SIP phone), so when it rings (it doesn't actualy ring, it just
singals an incoming call) the T1 supplies the DNIS (AKA DID) as the
extension it wants to dial. Asterisk then looks in the context where
the T1 starts if the extension exists.

> I can find nowhere in the documentation that says anything about having
> to create separate extensions for all the DNIS that are assigned to the
> trunks. The message I am getting when I follow the docs on configuring
> zapata and the dial plan is this:
>
>     -- Extension '2061234567' in context 'default' from '206987654' does
> not exist.  Rejecting call on channel 0/16, span 4
>
> When I add '_206XXXXXXX,1,Goto(demo,s,1)' I can get it to work.

This is what it should do, since it has no extension defined for 206987654.

> This is going to be for an IVR application not a PBX. So, numbers are
> routed down the trunks and the machine picks up and runs the application
> assigned to the DNIS that came down the line. And, I am getting the
> right ANI (CALLER_ID) and DNIS (Number Called). Problem is that if I
> have to configure every DNIS, or a pattern for them, I cant have a fall
> through.

Well, you want the provider to decide where it starts? how so? oh, I
know how, using DNIS. The provider is telling you what the caller
dialed (DNIS) otherwise you pick up with IVRa for a call meant for
IVRb, now Asterisk has to be configured to do something with it (it
being the number dialed).

> Is this how it is supposed to behave? From all the docs I can find, it
> doesn't seem so. Seems to me that the s extension in [default] should
> work. What are other people's experiences hooking up TDM hardware for
> incoming calls?

The s extension will only be used if no extension is given and there
is an incoming call (like when asterisk dials using:
Dial(tech/resource) without anything after the resource). On POTS it
means every incoming call since there is no means of signaling what
extension (other then using DTMF). With PRIs if there would be a
signal for an incoming call, but no DNIS is received then it would
also start at s. However in your case there is an extension coming in,
it's the same as dialing from a sip phone connected to your Asterisk
box 206987654. There must be an extension defined for this to work.
The documentation is everywhere, its just the misunderstanding that a
T1 is special, while it is in terms of the signalling, it is NOT
special in any other way, including the way Asterisk sees it. Once
configured Asterisk sees it as whatever the logic of the contexts you
have setup on that box. But from the point of view of a device, as
long as there is an extension coming in it has to be defined,
otherwise asterisk will look for the i extension.