[Asterisk-Users] OT: IAXModem in inittab causes modem to be unres ponsive, running from console it's OK

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jan 9 13:58:32 MST 2006

Colin Anderson wrote:

>faxguy, maybe you can tell me why
>
>As I've noted in previous posts I'm evaluating HylaFax with IAXModem. When I
>run iaxmodem and faxgetty through a console the modem works 100% I have yet
>to find a fax that it won't tie up with. When I run IAXmodem and faxgetty in
>initttab, the modem is extremely slow to respond and only actually does
>anything about half the time, the rest of the time the HylaFax client says:
>"Initializing server" and it stays there forever. If it does send a fax, the
>fax is usually corrupt. faxguy, can you comment? Running FC2 latest, SMP
>NetFinity, Asterisk 1.0.9 as non-root, latest SpanDSP for -users, not -dev
>(Pre21?) all on same box. The 2 virtual modems are set up to a non-obvious
>port (not 4569) to avoid port conflict.

I run two iaxmodem instances from inittab on my devel system which is
now running Fedora Core 2.  So I'm not sure why you'd be having
problems.  I don't have SMP, though.

I strongly recommend that you use the spandsp that came with IAXmodem.
Newer spandsp 0.0.3 releases or previews will probably work with the
latest IAXmodem release, but there has been so much development in
spandsp due to iaxmodem that it would be very easy to get things
conflicting there.

That said, I don't see how running iaxmodem from inittab versus the
console would make a difference there ... unless you have multiple
versions of spandsp (or libiax2) installed on the system, and init's
PATH is different than the PATH used when running in the console.  If
you have two versions of spandsp installed, then that would be a problem.

Other than that, I don't know what it could be, unfortunately.

Lee.