[Asterisk-Users] Answer call waiting / flash with Zaptel POTS and VOIP

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:26:30 MST 2006

Hello, hoping someone out there has some ideas -

I have a VOIP line that has call waiting. It is terminated at a Sipura 3000
and the POTS side of that device connects to an FXO port in my * box. I also
have a POTS/PSTN line that terminates in another FXO port on my * box.

There are two FXS ports which feed cordless phones. I'm using the Zaptel
TDM400 card.

This gives 2 extensions + 2 lines in/out and the VOIP line has call waiting.

This is the problem:
Asterisk (or Zaptel) only interprets the flash from a handset to mean
"switch between FXO cards". Or at least I think that's what's happening.

If I'm on an extension and using the VOIP line, and a call comes in on the
POTS line, I get the audible beep and I can answer it by pressing flash on
the extension.

However, if I'm on the VOIP line and another call is placed to the VOIP
number, I hear the beep, but pressing flash doesn't answer it. Instead it
gives me a dial tone. Pressing flash again gets me back to the original VOIP
call but there is no way to answer the call waiting on the VOIP line.

What I'm looking for is a way to tell * not to interpret the flash and
instead pass it out the line. I can always answer non-call-waiting incomming
calls on the other extension. I'd like to be able to use flash for signaling
the VOIP (upstream?) to switch to the callwaiting call and then back as
needed.

I tried setting callwaiting=no in zapata.conf and restarting * but that
didn't have the desired effect. I think it prevented me from hearing an
audible beep when one line and extension were in use and a call came in the
other line... that's okay. But it didn't help answer the callwaiting call on
the voip line.

I need a way to tell *  not to interpret the flash, and instead, pass it out
the line connected to this extension.

Any ideas?