[Asterisk-Users] call files, fax

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Jan 9 10:02:38 MST 2006

>I thought about using Hylafax, but after looking around a bit, I got the
>impression that it's not exactly trivial to integrate it with Asterisk,
>and that it will require a dedicated incoming line.  Perhaps I'm mistaken?

It isn't that bad basically download compile and install the trick is to
find the version of HylaFax that will compile clean under your kernel. You
need a version that was released about the same time as the vintage of your
kernel.

IAXmodem works. It provides a virtual modem that interacts with Asterisk via
IAX. Otherwise, you need a channel bank that will terminate to some POTS
lines and regular modems + free serial ports, but then, any other fax
package requires that as well.

The big weakness in Hylafax is the client. 90% of the time the client will
be under Windows, and your choices are Cypheus, which is pretty and user
friendly but slow and crash-y or WHFC which is ugly and nasty but works 100%
and has slick features like offline faxing.

hth