[Asterisk-Users] call files, fax

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Mon Jan 9 07:28:10 MST 2006

"David N. Welton" <d.welton at webster.it> wrote:

> 2) app_txfax
>
> I need to know if a fax has gone through or not.  My reading of txfax
> seems to indicate that it basically just fails, rather than giving me
> anything I can work with to try and fail gracefully (letting the user
> know that things didn't go well).  Is that indeed correct?  I don't know
> Asterisk that well, so I may be completely off base:-)  What would be
> the best way to make it interact better with the dial plan so that one
> could detect if it fails and act accordingly?  Set a variable?
>
> 3) I'm working on a small, simple email->fax system.  Just out of
> curiosity, what else is out there for Asterisk?  I found AsterFax, but
> it looks a little bit hairy to set up...

You really should consider HylaFAX - www.hylafax.org. It has what you're
missing - a fully featured queue manager / scheduler that takes care of
retries for you, and notifies the sender of any failures encountered. It can
be integrated with Asterisk via analog or digital lines, or by using a
software-based modem such as IAXmodem.

-Darren