[Asterisk-Users] dual IP connections

Matteo Brancaleoni mbrancaleoni at espia.it
Mon Jan 9 05:11:38 MST 2006

Hi,

> Two asterisk servers connected across the Intenet ( in SIP or IAX mode, no
> matter) with both of them having static ip addresses
>
> Then I add a second link (with another provider), with another NIC at both
> side, and again both of them having static ip addresses.
>
> Is there a way to tell asterisk to use both of these link, i.e. doing a
> load balancing ?
>
> Or just better (in my case) to use only one link, and to use the second
> link as a backup link in the event the first link went down ?

this is a routing problem, not an asterisk one.
you can do some ip policy based routing , but imho
if you implement this is better to have another
box between the * one and the 2 isp links that do the load
balance, or the switch to the bkp isp if the first one
goes down.
my idea is:

asterisk box(one nic) -> router(3 nics) -> isp1
		                       -> isp2

the on router you can play with ip policy based routing
or simply failover routing.

cya,
Matteo.
--