[Asterisk-Users] Processor Update?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Sun Jan 8 19:57:12 MST 2006

Mike Hammett wrote:

> I've been Googling around for some time now (a few hours on dial-up).
> I find all kinds of questions similar to mine, but either there is no
> answer or the answer has nothing to do with the question.  Hopefully
> this post isn't another one of those.
>
> Does Asterisk favor FPU performance or clock speed?  (Meaning AMD or
> Intel)

In this instance I think you're asking the wrong question.  Asterisk
will scale better on a processor that handles branching better, so the
AMDs with the shorter pipelines will help here a lot.

> I see Asterisk can be compiled for x64 systems.  Does it run any
> better\worse on x64 versus i386?

I have heard good reports from x64 systems.  Especially the AMD variety
that isn't drain bamaged.

> Dual-core CPU performance isn't as good as dual CPU's, but is more
> often than not a better deal as it's close, but a lot cheaper.
> Dual-core vs. Dual CPU performance depends on the application.  How
> does Asterisk respond?
>
> Looking to build out a system capable of 100 concurrent calls (IP
> pass-through, so in effect 200).  Looking at the dimensioning, I can
> get some ideas, but few of them state the call quality.  I'm hoping to
> be able to use a single CPU that is dual core as the price to go to a
> dual CPU that is single core puts me at least 60% to a redundant server.

Asuming no AGI, a single p4 will handle 200 calls.