[Asterisk-Users] Processor Update?

Mike Hammett asterisk-users at ics-il.net
Sun Jan 8 00:28:02 MST 2006

I've been Googling around for some time now (a few hours on dial-up).  I find all kinds of questions similar to mine, but either there is no answer or the answer has nothing to do with the question.  Hopefully this post isn't another one of those.

Does Asterisk favor FPU performance or clock speed?  (Meaning AMD or Intel)

I see Asterisk can be compiled for x64 systems.  Does it run any better\worse on x64 versus i386?

Dual-core CPU performance isn't as good as dual CPU's, but is more often than not a better deal as it's close, but a lot cheaper.  Dual-core vs. Dual CPU performance depends on the application.  How does Asterisk respond?

Looking to build out a system capable of 100 concurrent calls (IP pass-through, so in effect 200).  Looking at the dimensioning, I can get some ideas, but few of them state the call quality.  I'm hoping to be able to use a single CPU that is dual core as the price to go to a dual CPU that is single core puts me at least 60% to a redundant server.