[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Jobs

Kerry Garrison support at techdatapros.com
Sun Jan 8 10:23:19 MST 2006

> Asterisk drastically lowers barriers of entry in the field of
> commercial telephony systems. Besides, the wiki, the mailing
> list and the IRC channels make it relatively easy to get
> started with the system. This "no-pointy-clicky no-brainer
> interface" actually allows you to gain more in-depth
> knowledge about telephony and VoIP.

Have your worked with any other PBX system? Learning Asterisk is extremely
product-centric. Knowing how to create a dialplan in Asterisk does not
necessarily translate into how you create a dialplan on Call Manager or 3Com
NBX, or TalkSwitch, or Panasonic, or Toshiba, or Mitel, or anything else.
Adding a phone and extension is different on each system, etc etc etc.

The advantage of Asterisk is that you can pull obsolete hardware out of your
junkyard and get a system up and running and begin learning general
telephony and voip methods and terms. I'm not sure why you feel editing
config files manually helps your learn faster than using an interface such
as AMP. I totally disagree with that, if you don't have to learn all of the
syntax all up front and you have an easy means of doing 100% of your
configuration through an interface, you will learn how to setup and manage a
system much faster.

Kerry Garrison
Publisher - http://GeekGazette.com - http://VOIPSpeak.net
(949) 502-7819 x200 - kerryg at techdatapros.com