[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Jobs

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Jan 8 02:58:34 MST 2006

Douglas Garstang a écrit :

>Thanks all for the replies. I started working for a CLEC a few months ago and we've chosen to implement Asterisk. I'm not sure if the fact that my boss is an open source advocate is a good thing or not... ie yes it's great to work with Asterisk and see all the features coming together (especially with Polycom phones). On the other hand I wonder how useful this experience will really be.

Actually, I've found Asterisk to be a great experience. Not so much
because of the product itself (which is already great), but because of
the level of accessibility and the community around it.

Asterisk drastically lowers barriers of entry in the field of commercial
telephony systems. Besides, the wiki, the mailing list and the IRC
channels make it relatively easy to get started with the system. This
"no-pointy-clicky no-brainer interface" actually allows you to gain more
in-depth knowledge about telephony and VoIP.

Now I guess if you go for some Cisco VoIP training you will also gain
that knowledge, but it will be a lot more product centric (so you're
stuck with Cisco) and it will probably cost more...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

>I see a lot of VOIP jobs requiring Cisco experience. I worked with VOIP back in 1998, for a global VOIP wholesaler called OzEmail Interline in Australia before there where any standards... before SIP even. Until a few months ago I was working with SAN's and storage. Anywho...

Hey, there was H.323 back in 98. In fact, as far as I'm aware it's still
overwhelmingly used for major carriers IP intercos...