[Asterisk-Users] Kudzu and Zaptel Cards

Pete Barnwell peter at whole-uk.com
Sun Jan 8 03:13:32 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 18:45 -0800, Bart Fisher wrote:
> Redhat has a 'Hardware Discovery Utility' called Kudzu.
>
> When I change cards, kudzu pops up and ask to remove/config the card.
> Most of the time kudzu has trouble recognizing the Digium Zaptel cards
> and calls them something wrong, like calling the TDM card a network
> card.
>
> I'm having a devil of a time getting 3 TE410P cards to come up with
> all green lights. For example one or two cards full green, and the
> other has one red and yellow.  Swap cards give me some other form of
> workingness.
>
> My question are:
>
> 1) How necessary is Kudzu?

Not very - especially if you plan on configuring things manually.

> 2) Should it ran at all?

I usually disable it as soon as I have finished an install.

> 3) If I choose ignore or disable kudzu, will it stop the zaptel cards
> from being detected or working?

It shouldn't - but you'll have to make sure kernel modules etc are
installed either manually or in your own startup script.

I use RHEL 4 on my builds and haven't had any problems with Kudzu
disabled - BUT I haven't got more than one Digium card in any of them.

Rgds

Pete