[Asterisk-Users] Advice on fax support

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Sun Jan 8 02:11:21 MST 2006

Just this week, I've installed an Asterisk solution for my current job, to
replace a single POTS line which was shared between voice and fax.

Before we go fully live with the solution, we need to come up with a solution
to what to do with the current POTS line. The company is very keen to retain
the line (or at least the number) as it has been in mail signatures, etc, for
the past year or more, and people know it.

The setup I've got is:

 (Office A) --- (VPN Rtr) --- ADSL --- (VPN Rtr) --- Asterisk --> IAX to PSTN

 (Office B) --- (VPN Rtr) --- 10M line --+

The POTS line is in Office A. What I was thinking was to put something like
a Sipura SPA-3000 on the POTS line, and plug the fax machine into it. This
would certainly allow me to do the voice part, as I can route incoming calls
into asterisk.

What I cannot get my head around is the fax support. If I do it this way, can
I get fax tone detection working? Can I tell the Sipura to pass fax calls
through to the fax machine?

Ideally, I'd want faxes to appear on the asterisk server (and also enable
faxing from the desktop). Is there a reliable solution to this, considering
that the Asterisk box doesn't have any physical phone lines attached to it?
(PSTN gateway is via an IAX provider over the Internet)

Thanks,

Simon