[Asterisk-Users] RE: Fax, txfax -bizarre thing

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jan 7 09:10:21 MST 2006

> I having similar problem. Unfortunately each thread is archive leads to nowhere. I
read a post in which similar problem was solved by changing rxgain and txgain to 15.
Maybe this would help.
> Does anyone have common problems?
>
> I was wondering why asterisk - great telecommunication program - has such a weak fax
support. I am talking about mail to fax and fax to mail. Or maybe I am the only one who
has the problems with it.

> If someone has some experience please help.

In addition to what others have already mentioned, fax support requires
excellent * timing & bus characteristics, and the digium tdm card does not provide
that (nor does the older x100p). Those that have spandsp running are primarily
T1/E1 users.

Running fax over sip channels (and networks) also requires rather tight
requirements in terms of latency, jitter, etc, that has been discussed
many times on this list.