[Asterisk-Users] Fax, txfax -bizarre thing

Andrew Nowrot andrew.nowrot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 16:15:52 MST 2006

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for a quite long time. Maybe I am not the
first asterisk user with this problem, (I try to search on google, but I
didn't find anything good). My point is:
I try to set up * to work as a fax server. Each incoming fax (from PSTN)
should be received on email. Luckily it works. I didn't notice any problem
with receiving faxes on email, so rxfax works OK. But when I try send and
email which is converted to fax tiff image I got nothing but troubles. I'm
able to send a fax, the remote end answers and I'm receiving the fax but
suddenly "something" bizarre is happening. The fax is dropping the
connection and I get only half (sometimes even less than a half) of the
page. Sometimes I'm receiving whole page. 50% of the fax transmissions is
OK.  I am sure that this is not cause by the conversion to tiff image I
check it and I'm sure of it. To me it looks like the txfax application cause
some problems.
Can anyone tell me, if the txfax, rxfax and spandsp are reliable (which
version)?
I also heard, that I should use a Digium cards in Asterisk server to have
fax transmission work properly, is that the truth? Why?
Could anyane tell what is the best solution for Asterisk and fax
transmission (which version of Asterisk and spandsp, which cards ..) or
maybe I have to switch to hylafax?

My environment looks like this:

Asterisk1.0.9 with spandsp-0.0.2pre21 and bristuff-0.2.0-RC8p with ISDN
HFC-S cards ---> PSTN (ISDN) ---> remote fax

I also try this with:

Asterisk1.0.9 with spandsp-0.0.2pre21 and bristuff-0.2.0-RC8p with ISDN
HFC-S cards ---> PSTN (ISDN) ---> Another Asterisk ---> remote fax

but with the same result.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Cheers

Andrew Nowrot