[Asterisk-Users] GSM Gateway / Terminal for sale

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Fri Jan 6 08:17:45 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:48:27PM +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> >However there are some disadvantages, the main being you cant set CLI of
> >the outgoing call as it will always be tied to the SIM of the mobile
> >terminal.
> That's true. You can however choose to mask the caller ID.

Yup, for telcos (in the broadest sense) offering a service, generally
people want to be able to call back the number that dialed them.

> >Another is that you can NOT run a GSM gateway (as they're known) for 3rd
> >parties. So if you want to connect your office PBX to a gateway to make
> >use of cheap mobile termination for your own company that's fine, but as
> >an ITSP (or traditional telco) you can not allow 3rd party traffic to
> >utilise a gateway. If networks find you are using a gateway (as a telco)
> >they can cut it off, no questions asked. Gateways have been determined
> >to be fixed infrastructure, therefore NOT mobile.
> Yes, mobile grey routing is illegal in the UK. However it DOES happen in
> the UK, and on a large scale (you're talking dozens of E1s worth of
> capacity), I can guarantee you. I've seen it!

Of course it does, but generally the networks can find them quite
quickly (as local cells get congested) and they cut off the SIMs.

> >Of course this is UK specific, other countries have more lenient
> >policies (I think Belgium allow gateways, France doesn't allow any kind,
> >and some allow them with the co-operation of the operators).
> France fully allows GSM gateways. In fact one of the leading IP/GSM
> manufacturer, Quescom, is French. Their latest product, the SIM server,
> is just mad: it is able so auto-swap SIM cards and IMEI remotely to
> simulate somebody roaming around and stay below mobile providers' radar.

OK wrong way round there ...

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com