[Asterisk-Users] GSM Gateway / Terminal for sale

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Jan 6 07:48:27 MST 2006

>However there are some disadvantages, the main being you cant set CLI of
>the outgoing call as it will always be tied to the SIM of the mobile
>terminal.

That's true. You can however choose to mask the caller ID.

>Another is that you can NOT run a GSM gateway (as they're known) for 3rd
>parties. So if you want to connect your office PBX to a gateway to make
>use of cheap mobile termination for your own company that's fine, but as
>an ITSP (or traditional telco) you can not allow 3rd party traffic to
>utilise a gateway. If networks find you are using a gateway (as a telco)
>they can cut it off, no questions asked. Gateways have been determined
>to be fixed infrastructure, therefore NOT mobile.

Yes, mobile grey routing is illegal in the UK. However it DOES happen in
the UK, and on a large scale (you're talking dozens of E1s worth of
capacity), I can guarantee you. I've seen it!

>Of course this is UK specific, other countries have more lenient
>policies (I think Belgium allow gateways, France doesn't allow any kind,
>and some allow them with the co-operation of the operators).

France fully allows GSM gateways. In fact one of the leading IP/GSM
manufacturer, Quescom, is French. Their latest product, the SIM server,
is just mad: it is able so auto-swap SIM cards and IMEI remotely to
simulate somebody roaming around and stay below mobile providers' radar.

The ARCEP (France's flavor of regulators) solution to the problem is to
force biggest mobile phone companies to lower their off net wholesale
rates (over a span of 3 years) until it closes the GSM gateway "economic
space".

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.