[Asterisk-Users] Announcing a call transfer

Adam Moffett adam at plexicomm.net
Fri Jan 6 08:14:48 MST 2006

> With our current pbx system, a call comes in from the PSTN to the
> receptionist. She then hits flash, which puts the caller on hold,
> calls my extension, says "so and so is on the phone for you", I say
> "ok put him through", she hangs up and I am connected to the caller.
>
> With asterisk at home I can it # then the extension to transfer to and it
> will ring there. But is there a simple way to announce the call before
> you transfer it. If not, does anyone have any good work arounds for this.

There is a feature called attended transfer which does what you want.
Receptionist dials the attended transfer code, followed by your
extension.  The caller hears hold music while the receptionist announces
the call to you.  When she hangs up you get the call.  If you hang up
before she does, the call goes back to her.

It can be enabled in the features.conf file.  Under the [featuremap]
section add
atxfer => code
on my system it's
atxfer =>*2
so I dial *2 followed by the extension to do attended transfer.

However, I don't know anything specific to asterisk at home, so if it's
different than a stock asterisk setup then I don't know.