[Asterisk-Users] GSM Gateway / Terminal for sale

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Fri Jan 6 06:23:26 MST 2006

> I don't get it. What is the advantage of using a GSM gateway?
> VOIP calls are pretty inexpensive as they are now.

It largely depends on the country you're calling. Here in the UK, calls to
mobiles are maintained at an artificially high rate because the terminating
network (the mobile networks) get a cut of call revenue for calls *to* your
mobile. By contrast, in the US, the mobile customer often pays a small
charge per minute on incoming calls (as I understand the market over there).

You'll also find in the UK the mobile phone market is heavily subsidized by
the networks such that you can get phones for free if you sign up to 12
month contracts. I often find that it's cost-effective to get a new contract
every 12 months (with a free phone), even if I don't want the phone. Flog
the phone on ebay and you've got a spare SIM with lots of inclusive minutes
for almost nothing.

Regards,

Chris