[Asterisk-Users] Error running install command for ztdummy

Tom manhattanvoice at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 19:56:07 MST 2006

Here is the issue:

[root at localhost ~]# modprobe zaptel
[root at localhost ~]# lsmod | grep zaptel
zaptel                206724  0
crc_ccitt               2113  1 zaptel
[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]# modprobe ztdummy
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

FATAL: Error running install command for ztdummy
[root at localhost ~]#

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is the background:

I am using the Linux 4 ES Update 2 distro.
[root at localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-22.EL #1 Mon Sep 19
18:20:28 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at localhost ~]#

I am installing zaptel (just to get access to ztdummy)
and asterisk for the first time and this is the first
time that it is being installed on the server in
question.  No PSTN hardware in the server; just a NIC
card -- I will be doing sip to sip calls in a lab
environment.

1.  Before compiling zaptel (the compile of zaptel
looks good to me -- but see below), I configured NTP
on the server so that it would sync to another server
of ours which syncs directly to the NTP server.   I
did this via crontab:

[root at localhost ~]# crontab -l
30 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u xxxxxx > /dev/null
2>&1
[root at localhost ~]# ntpq
ntpq> host ptn-wee
current host set to xxxxxx.aaaaa.net
ntpq> peers
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach
 delay   offset  jitter
 LOCAL(0)        LOCAL(0)        10 l   44   64  377
 0.000    0.000   0.000
*HOPF_S(0)       .CDMA.           0 l   10   16  377
 0.000   -0.003   0.000
ntpq>

2.  I Uncommented ztdummy in the zaptel Makefile
before doing the first compile and I left one-space
between ztd-loc and ztdummy.

MODULES:=zaptel tor2 torisa wcusb wcfxo wctdm
wctdm24xxp \
         ztdynamic ztd-eth wct1xxp wct4xxp wcte11xp
pciradio \
         ztd-loc ztdummy

3.  In the compile of zaptel (make, make install, make
config, make clean) I noticed in the make output the
following (not sure if this is a problem or not):

[root at localhost zaptel-1.2.1]#
[root at localhost zaptel-1.2.1]# make
Makefile:178: target `ztdummy.o' given more than once
in the same rule.
~SNIP~
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-22.EL-i686'
/usr/src/zaptel-1.2.1/Makefile:178: target `ztdummy.o'
given more than once in the same rule.
  CC [M]  /usr/src/zaptel-1.2.1/zaptel.o
/usr/src/zaptel-1.2.1/zaptel.c:187: warning: 'fcstab'
defined but not used
  CC [M]  /usr/src/zaptel-1.2.1/tor2.o
~SNIP~

4.  Making NO edits to the Makefile for asterisk, I
then compiled asterisk (make, make install, make
samples, make progdocs, make config, make clean).
Looked good.

5.  I then went straight to loading zaptel (having
forgotten to first compile asterisk-sounds (make
install) and asterisk-addons (make install) [side
question: Is it OK to go back and compile sounds and
addons after zaptel is now loaded??])

6.  I loaded zaptel sucessfully, it looks like:

[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]# modprobe zaptel
[root at localhost ~]# lsmod | grep zaptel
zaptel                206724  0
crc_ccitt               2113  1 zaptel
[root at localhost ~]#

7.  ztdummy, however, does not load:

[root at localhost ~]# modprobe ztdummy
Notice: Configuration file is /etc/zaptel.conf
line 0: Unable to open master device '/dev/zap/ctl'

1 error(s) detected

FATAL: Error running install command for ztdummy
[root at localhost ~]#

7.1  I see that i have no zap/ under /dev/:

[root at localhost ~]# cd /dev/zap/
-bash: cd: /dev/zap/: No such file or directory
[root at localhost ~]# cd /dev
[root at localhost dev]#
[root at localhost dev]#
[root at localhost dev]# pwd
/dev
[root at localhost dev]# ls -l
total 0
crw-------  1 root  root    36,   8 Dec 23 10:04 arpd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root          3 Dec 23 10:04 cdrom
-> hda
crw-------  1 rdlab root     5,   1 Dec 23 16:21
console
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root         11 Dec 23 10:04 core
-> /proc/kcore
crw-------  1 root  root    10,  63 Dec 23 10:04
device-mapper
~SNIP~
crw-------  1 vcsa  tty      7, 136 Dec 23 15:05 vcsa8
drwx------  2 root  root         80 Dec 23 15:05
VolGroup00
crw-------  1 root  root    36,   6 Dec 23 10:04 xfrm
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root          4 Dec 23 10:04 XOR
-> null
crw-------  1 root  root   196, 254 Jan  5 17:47
zapchannel
crw-------  1 root  root   196,   0 Jan  5 17:47
zapctl
crw-------  1 root  root   196, 255 Jan  5 17:47
zappseudo
crw-------  1 root  root   196, 253 Jan  5 17:47
zaptimer
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  root     1,   5 Dec 23 10:04 zero
[root at localhost dev]#

7.2 Per my understanding of the asterisk docs, I
belive I have to solve this ztdummy load issue BEFORE
I attempt to load asterisk for the first time.

Thanks in advance!