[Asterisk-Users] FC3 or FC1 (or something else?)

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Wed Jan 4 12:34:44 MST 2006

Brett, Gary wrote:

>>From what ive read on this list and the wiki, centos 4.x has issues with the
>TE110P card ( a lot of people having issues after first reboot).Would 3.5 be
>better (I know *@home uses this)
>
>Am I right in saying that OS's with the 1.6 kernel still require a lot more
>"tinkering" than those with the 1.4 kernel ?? Does anybody know what Digiums
>stance on OS is , I remember speaking to them about 6 months ago and they
>were recommending a 1.4 kernel version of Debian.
>
>Are there any specific disadvantages to running 1.4 kernel ??,

I presume you mean 2.4 and 2.6.

Six months ago the Stable release of Debian couldn't run 2.6 kernels
without installing a few updated packages from their backports.org
repository.  There has been a release since then that includes native
2.6 support.

There are many areas where 2.6 improves upon 2.4 from processor and
interrupt scalability to latency improvements.  I would recommend any
new server be installed with a 2.6 kernel unless there is some workload
that requires a specific 2.4 kernel.  I believe most of those were
removed with the 2.6.5 to 2.6.8 anonVMA changes by Andrea.