[Asterisk-Users] Resolving timing issues with dual PRIs in a TE411P

Anthony Rodgers Anthony_Rodgers at dnv.org
Tue Jan 3 16:17:33 MST 2006

Greetings, everyone, and Happy New Year!

I have a question relating to running two PRIs into a single TE411P. We
have been experiencing echo, noisy MOH, poor audio call quality and so
forth that started at around the time we introduced the second PRI into
the equation. Here is our zaptel.conf:

span=1,2,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
dchan=24
#clear=1-24
loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

span=2,1,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=25-27
dchan=48
#clear=1-24
loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

And here is our zapata.conf:

[trunkgroups]

[channels]

context=incoming
usecallingpres=yes
echocancel=128
callerid=asreceived
usecallerid=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
echotraining=500

; Nortel PBX
rxgain=2.0
txgain=-17.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
switchtype=national
signalling=pri_net
facilityenable=yes
channel => 1-23

; Allstream PRI
rxgain=-2.0
txgain=-17.0
group=2
callgroup=2
pickupgroup=2
switchtype=dms100
signalling=pri_cpe
facilityenable=no
channel => 25-27

musiconhold=default

We are master to the Nortel PBX, which gets its clocking from Telus (a
telco), and slave to the Allstream (another telco), from where the
Asterisk gets its clocking.

We have been through the IRQ/APIC/hyperthreading thing already, and our
gain levels were set using ztmonitor. zttest gives Best: 100.000000 --
Worst: 99.987793 -- Average: 99.998923 after 885 passes. We have
another, identical server that plays MOH with no problems without a PRI
attached (presumably using internal clocking), and that same server and
another similar server had no issues for months with only one PRI
attached (one had the Nortel and one had the Allstream, with an IAX
trunk between them).

Is it possible that the two PRIs have timing differences between them
that could cause problems? If so, how best could we resolve them?

Regards,
--
Anthony Rodgers
Business Systems Analyst