[Asterisk-Users] FC3 or FC1 (or something else?)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jan 3 13:32:46 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:33:49PM -0000, Brett, Gary wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wish to install asterisk 1.2 (the latest tar.gz from the site ....not the
> CVS version) on an HP box with a TE110P (single port E1/T1)
>
> My question is which OS would be preferred in this configuration Fedora Core
> 1 or Fedora Core 3, and are there any install guides out there that are
> recent enough for asterisk 1.2

Why not latest Fedora?

> I am also open to suggestions for other Operating Systems if any of you feel
> that FC1/3 are not the best for the job, my only definates are that I use
> the latest tar.gz from the asterisk.org website not the CVS and also that I
> will be using the TE110p

I don't know Fedora that well to give you recomendations here. I have my
own preferences. But there is a point worthmentioning regarding Fedora:

Fedora does not seem to provide long-term maintinance. Security updates
for Fedora are provided for a relatively short period. there is a
community project called Fedora Legacy to provide maintinance for older
Fedoras, but it has ggained reputation of not providing timely updates.

So:

1. is there a decent upgrade path? Would you use 'yum upgrade' (or
whatever the command is) to upgrade your server from FC3 to FC4? from
FC1 to FC4?

2. Alternatively: how well does Fedora Legacy is lately?