[Asterisk-Users] cisco 7960 registration fails

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jan 3 06:28:41 MST 2006

> Apologies for hitting the list with such a long mail on my first post!
> Having seen the archives this seems like a list that likes debugging
> output. If I have left any information out please let me know.
>
> I have recently begun using asterisk on debian.
>
> ben at deb-tv$ /usr/sbin/asterisk -V
> Asterisk 1.0.7-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7k
>
> ben at deb-tv$ dpkg -l asterisk
> |
> Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                Version             Description
> +++-===================-===================-==========================
> ii  asterisk            1.0.7.dfsg.1-2      Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
>
> I have an odd problem that may be known as I saw one similar posting.
>
> I have the following config on my cisco 7940:
>
> line1_name : "localuser"
> line1_authname : "localuser"
> line1_password : "localpass"
> line1_shortname : "asterisk"
> line1_displayname : "myphone"

If the above is a copy/paste, then remove the quotes. Format should
be like this: line1_authname: 1234
Quotes can be used in displayname and shortname.

> Then in sip.conf:
>
> [localuser]
> type=friend
> username=localuser
> secret=localpass
> auth=md5

Try removing auth=md5; not sure the 7940 supports it (never tried it).

> host=dynamic
> dtmfmode=rfc2833
> nat=no
> allow=all
> canreinvite=no

If you want the above definitions to fit a specific context, then add:
 context=from-sip
or whatever extensions.conf context you'd like. The above definitions
assume a default context which might not be all that obvious later
when you're playing with other functions. The rest of the definitions
in the above are fine.

> The phone starts to register but doesn't quite manage it:
>
> SIP Phone> sh reg
>
> LINE REGISTRATION TABLE
> Proxy Registration: ENABLED, state: IDLE
> line  APR  state          timer       expires     proxy:port
> ----  ---  -------------  ----------  ---------- -----------------
> 1     11x  REGISTERING    3600        204         192.168.1.4:5060

Try 'sip show peers' from the CLI. You should see something like:

phoenix*CLI> sip show peers
Name/username              Host            Dyn Nat ACL Port     Status
3000/3000                  206.222.193.90   D          5060     Unmonitored

when the phone successfully registers.

If you see something like this:
Name/username              Host            Dyn Nat ACL Port     Status
3050/3050                  (Unspecified)    D          0        Unmonitored

the registration process is a problem.

Rich