[Asterisk-Users] Re: What is the best Dell Machine for Asterisk?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Jan 2 17:37:36 MST 2006

Administrator TOOTAI wrote:

> Mike Fedyk a écrit :
>
>> Yes, and if you don't get to GRUB, what do you do?
>

> Lilo is also able to boot from different disks (MBR)
>
>> I very much prefer a Linux software raid setup myself, but you are
>> depending on the quirks of your BIOS if your primary boot drive dies.
>

> We _are_ speaking about SW Raid. Once you have your bootloader, BIOS
> is not anymore involved. And if this bootloader is able to boot from
> another MBR, why not using this feature ;-)?
>
> All our servers are seted up in SW Raid1 with the GRUB fallback
> option: it's working very well.

I am talking about SW Raid also.  Now, what happens when your BIOS fails
to read the MBR from the first mirror and doesn't try the second because
it sees the first?

I see this problem, and I do not know how to fix it without either
replacing the BIOS or installing a PCI disk controller that handles this
scenario properly.

Let me repeat, if your BIOS doesn't look hard enough for a MBR, you will
never get to the bootloader.

I'm looking for solutions, do you understand the problem I am
describing?  I hope so, because otherwise you are just denying a valid
failure case.

Solutions wanted.

Mike