[Asterisk-Users] How hard to create Asterisk for Compact Flash?

Hadley Rich asterisk at nice.net.nz
Tue Feb 28 18:42:09 MST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 14:15, mustardman29 wrote:
> I am aware of Astlinux and the other embedded Asterisk solutions out there?
> Astlinux is nice but the problem is that when I hit a snag and need to
> incorporate a patch and what not I cannot do that with Astlinux because I
> cannot compile my own version.
>
> How hard is it to create my own version of Linux/Asterisk to run on Compact
> Flash.  I have seen 1GB Sandisk CF for as low as $50 recently so small size
> is not too critical.  I won't be using AMP or anything like that either.
> The most important thing is for it to be read only so the CF is not
> constantly being written to so it will last a long time.  Voicemail and
> config files will be stored on a second CF that is read/write.

You could use any distro you want really. Some good options would probably be;

- Debian (check out flashybrid package for read only root)
- Gentoo (I know there is a read only root tutorial around somewhere)
- Slackware (read only root should be fairly easy too)
- Arch (I have my own experimental read only root package for this --uses
rsync, similar to flashybrid)

I personally like Arch Linux because of the ease of integration of binary and
source compiled packages. So incorporating a patch like you mentioned above
is a simple edit of a PKGBUILD and `makepkg`. My standard (not optimised in
any way) install with everything I need to run Asterisk comes in just under
500MB. The downside of Arch for a server is that it has a rolling release.

Of course everyone has their favourite distro, that is just MHO.

HTH

hads

--
BOFH excuse #34: