[Asterisk-Users] Cannot boot machine up after working on zaptel....

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Feb 28 16:01:52 MST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:44:35AM -0500, Chris Earle (CBL) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> hard for me to explain this, but it keeps happening on a number of machines
>
> I attempt to upgrade zaptel, or do something to zaptel modules..... and then
> I reboot the machine, and for whatever reason, it hangs on loading the
> modules
>
> Either the install wasn't complete, the zaptel modules settings are wrong,
> whatever....
> but the problem is now I can't get past the boot up and the machine is
> basically lost
>
> Is there any way to bypass the module load attempt or anything?
>
> I've tried holding SHIFT down to get the LILO menu, and loading LinuxOLD,
> but no go
>
> I'm on Debian 2.4.18, with Zaptel 1.0.9.2

For starters, upgrade kernel?

Anyway,

In the lilo prompt, write:

  Linux init=/bin/bash

(that is: add the extra parameter init=/bin/bash )

This will boot the system and give you a shell before loading any
modules.

Now in there, run:

  mount -o remount,rw /

and probably also:

  mount /proc

Do whatever edits are required so the zaptel modules won't load (editing
/etc/modules, or even moving the module files from the kernel dir) , and
then:

  umount /proc
  mount -o remount,ro /

  exec /sbin/init

The boot process should continue normlly (this is /sbin/init running as
process 1).