[Asterisk-Users] Re: Echo and other reasons to migrate to BRI

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:37:05 MST 2006

Brent-

There is no good way to say what changing the hardware and PSTN hookup will
probably do for the echo problems.  I'm not sure if you mentioned (lost in
the past history of your post now) what sort of hardware you're using for
PSTN connection now- TDMs, X100s, ATA's, etc- but that could also be a
potential cause. I've heard tell of aftermarket X100s and certain ATA's
being very finicky with echo- and age of hardware can sometimes make a
difference.  I personally use and recommend the Cisco handsets- it's hard
(IMHO) to get echo generated there.  Adjusting the gains, as you've already
done, is generally step two, and should be done with caution, but it sounds
like you've got that part down.

I will say that, if you have generally poor audio quality on your PSTN
circuits- (and I would measure the difference between 'through the 7960' and
'through an analog handset plugged into the line' by ear to confirm- you may
have already done this), it is definitely time to start looking for
alternate PSTN termination.  Each new method, however, brings with it
additional chances for echo problems- however, if you're working with a
single Asterisk box, all lines and handsets terminated to it, a digital
circuit directly to it (via Digium TDM card) presents the *smallest*
possible chance for echo problems- you're left with network issues, or
possible server performance issues.

Instead of BRI (which has more complicated hardware and channel drivers),
you might consider a fractional PRI, or an Integrated Access circuit, where
you're bringing in the full T1, but paying only for a few channels.  I know
that that's available here in Illinois, at very competitive pricing to BRI
circuits.  You may also want to switch to 100% VoIP provided termination,
porting your number to a carrier (I'm recently a fan of NuFone, and they're
relatively local to you, with centers in Michigan and Chicago- but YMMV), as
you know that's an echo free solution.

-Paul Davidson
 PlanCommunications, LLC