[Asterisk-Users] Linksys WIP300 WiFi Phone

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Mon Feb 27 14:50:29 MST 2006

Omar A. Sabek wrote:
> Like BJ, I'm sorry you had bad luck Phil. I have been playing with
> this phone all weekend, and I have had minor problems. The voice
> quality is as good as my cisco and polycom sip phones. I asked a
> friend to guess what kind of phone I was talking on and he said it
> sounded like a regular home or office phone. I have been very happy
> with the voice quality.

My first day was a huge disappointment.  Three crashes, calls wouldn't
work over my work's wifi (eventhough it registered ok), short battery
time, lost settings after a crash, etc.

However, after I went in and cleared my settings back to default, the
troubles went away!  I'm been using it for over three days without a glitch.

So, I would recommend to anybody else who is getting one of these
phones, to immediately set all settings back to 'default' (under the
Tools menu) before spending too much time configuring it.

> I reported on the voip-info page dismal talk times but it must have
> been an anomoly. Today I spoke for over an hour on the phone and still
> had plenty of juice left.

My battery life seems to have improved as well.  I don't know if that's
was a glitch fixed by setting things back to the defaults, or if cycling
the battery is helping.  I also have less of a tendency to play with the
menus, and the backlight could be a power drainer (it is quite bright).

> All-in-all this phone is a winner. It works with Asterisk flawlessly.

As long as my troubles don't come back, I would agree.  I think my phone
was shipped to me in a funny state causing it not to work right. It's a
winner now.

There are some little things I would wish for, but I'm quite happy with it.

Phil