[Asterisk-Users] Linksys WIP300 WiFi Phone

Omar A. Sabek omar.sabek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 21:07:49 MST 2006

Like BJ, I'm sorry you had bad luck Phil. I have been playing with
this phone all weekend, and I have had minor problems. The voice
quality is as good as my cisco and polycom sip phones. I asked a
friend to guess what kind of phone I was talking on and he said it
sounded like a regular home or office phone. I have been very happy
with the voice quality.

The only problem I had was my phone would not connect to my wireless
network this morning. I was a bit puzzled because it worked last night
and all my settings were correct. In a move of frustration I deleted
all the 'preset' profiles that came with the phone and recreated the
current wi-fi profile. It picked up my network and connected to * no
problem.

The GUI is much like a cell phone's. It has a center joystick that
takes a bit to get used to handling, it's pretty sensitive. One great
thing about the configuration of the phone is the seperation between
'network profile' and 'sip account'. In other words, after configuring
the network settings, you select the SIP account you want to use when
on that network. This is especially useful for users that have unique
wi-fi settings per location but a common SIP proxy like *.

I reported on the voip-info page dismal talk times but it must have
been an anomoly. Today I spoke for over an hour on the phone and still
had plenty of juice left.

All-in-all this phone is a winner. It works with Asterisk flawlessly.
Don't look for much support from Linksys though as I called them when
I received the phone and they told me they dont carry any item with
that model number. That should be a temporary thing though, I have a
feeling these wi-fi linksys phones are going to be pretty popular.

Thanks,

Omar A. Sabek