[Asterisk-Users] Skype vs. an Xlite registered to Asterisk

Alejandro Vargas alejandro.anv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:45:31 MST 2006

2006/2/26, hugolivude <hugolivude at gmail.com>:
> I have a bunch of road warriors who I've set up with Xlite clients.
> Unfortunately the sound quality has been intermittent at best.

What codec dis you use?? I think xlite support speex, that is the
better codec I've tested when connections are under hevy traffic (p2p
applications). G729 is good too, but Speex really worked great in my
tests.

>  Sometimes
> I was thinking about trying an Xlite client that can support G729.  Anyone
> had experience with that?  Does it significantly improve voice quality?

What you need to improve (or decress) is the bandwidth usage.

Check this: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Bandwidth+consumption
but try speex if it is supported by your sip phone. It is free,
variable bitrate and adapts to the available bandwidth, (it is based
on ogg codec).

--
Alejandro Vargas