[Asterisk-Users] Skype vs. an Xlite registered to Asterisk

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sun Feb 26 21:39:38 MST 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 5:43 PM, hugolivude wrote:

> Say, thanks to all you for your time in responding.
>
>  I hope I don't sound unappreciative (I have no time for flamers) but
> I don't understand how changing from SIP to IAX would make any
> difference.  I don't have any problems with the signalling (i.e.
> phones ring when I make and receive calls), the problem is with the
> media.  Aren't the signalling (IAX/SIP) and media (presumably a
> function of the codec) two seperate and distinct domains?
>
>  Maybe I have it all wrong, so I'd be keen to learn what I'm missing.

I think you have it all wrong ;~)

SIP uses multiple ports to communicate from client to host.  The
negotiation usually occurs on port 5060, but the audio is elsewhere.

IAX2 uses a single port for everything, hence all NAT/firewall routing
issues are simplified.

I also prefer IAX2, and just to chime in, there is an excellent new
Softphone for Mac OSX called JackenIAX (dumb name) that seems to be
superb although it's still in beta.

Marty