[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Topology

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Sat Feb 25 10:31:30 MST 2006

> Can this be done? I havent seen to much of this on the
> mailing list, im guessing each server would talk to the main
> * server via a IAX trunk or a SIP peer. Also one other key
> point would then be to keep the voicemail for each office on
> its local * server instead of having it go to the data center.

Yes, I'd be inclined to use IAX rather than SIP, especially if bandwidth
isn't particularly huge on the links between sites.

> My main concern is the dialplan, I guess if the peer is not
> local it would then go out the IAX or SIP gateway to the main
> * server and then check in its dial plan/routing table there, correct?

Have a play with switch => IAX2/otherbox/context in your dialplan on the
satellite boxes. In a nutshell, if you put the switch at the end of the
context your phones fall into when they make calls, * will try and match
first on the local box's dialplan, then try and match on the remote box if
that fails.

This'll also allow you to "overload" pattern matches, for example, if you
have one site which for whatever reason has its own dialout facilities, you
can still use those without having to modify anything apart from that
satellite * server.

Regards,

Chris