[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Feb 25 06:51:37 MST 2006

> Has anyone tried the Linksys SRW224P? 24 Port managed switch, 10/100, 2 Gig
> Uplink Ports, PoE:
>   a.. Delivers reliable power over 10/100 Ethernet ports using IEEE 802.3af
> standard
>   b.. Secure management via SSH/SSL and secure user control via 802.1x & MAC
> filtering
>   c.. IGMP snooping, L2/L3 COS, queuing & scheduling makes solution ideal
> for Voice/Video
>   d.. Intelligent traffic management with Rate Limiting, Policing ACLs, and
> Storm control
> All that for around $450....we have not put one of these through any heavy
> duty production stress tests, but I was amazed at the features on this thing
> for the price.

The specs look very impressive assuming the box actually implements those
specs without bugs and caveats. ;)

Since their website shows firmware v2.0.1.4 as being available, it would
appear the box has been around for awhile, however the readme for that version
also contradicts the marketing/sales fluff. Since the words use "chip limitation",
one has to assume the marketing folks got carried away with specs before anyone
had any truthful understanding of what they were trying to sell. Very high
probability the switch was built in the Asian region and Linksys is simply
remarketed the box under their name (as with a lot of their products).

The readme for this version says:

1. Chip limitation
       The monitoring port can do traffic monitoring only. It does not allow packets switching and
monitoring function worked simultaneously.
2. Chip limitation
       RMON drop event counts when RX packet rate > rate limit or broadcast threshold.
3. Chip limitation
       Strict Priority can only be applied to Queue#3. Weighted Round Robin is applied to
Queue#0~#2.
4. Chip limitation
       When port security was enabled for a particular port, if the source MAC address of the
packet from the secured port was already learned by the chip??s ARL table, the switch will
continue to forward the specific packet at the secured port. The packets will not be dropped by
the chip..
5. Chip limitation
       The broadcast control threshold configuration is per-system based. It is not per-port based
configuration.
6. Chip limitation
       COS mapping is global in the system.
7. MAC address aging time is about +/- 1/8 of the setting value.
8. Rate Limit = Granularity * Level
       For FastEthernet Port
           Granularity: 8Kbs, 64Kbps, 512Kbps, 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 3.3Mbps  (Default setting is 512Kbps)
           Level:  1 - 255. (Default setting is 255)
       For Giga Port
           Granularity: 32 Kbps, 64Kbps, 512Kbps, 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 3.3Mbps, 10Mbps, 33.3Mbps
(Default setting is 33.3Mbps)
           Level:  1 - 30. (Default setting is 30)
           Level setting is per port based.
           The Granularity is global setting, it effects on all of the ports.
9. The firmware does not support SNTP broadcast mode
10. The maximum size of the supported configuration file is 100 KB.
11. Chip limitation
        From giga port flood jumbo frame to both giga and fastethernet ports will result giga port
receive fastethernet's rate.
12. MAC ACL: Configure MAC ACL with the ??deny any source MAC and Destination MAC address for a
particular VLAN?? then any unknown unicast packets will not be flooded within this VLAN.
13. MAC ACL: When Configure MAC ACL with the ??deny any source MAC and Destination MAC address for
a particular VLAN?? then the dynamic learned MAC address within this VLAN will be deleted.
14. In the following MAC ACL configuration:
        1)	Configure MAC ACL with the ??permit host-A any VLAN1??
        2)	Configure MAC ACL with the ??permit host-B any VLAN1??
        3)	Configure MAC ACL with the ??deny any any VLAN1??
        Only source MAC = host-A or source MAC = host-B frames are allowed. Therefore, host-A to
host-B or host-B to host-A traffic will be blocked.
15. MAC ACL: It is not recommended that user configured static MAC addresses and MAC ACL are both
applied on the same port/VLAN. Conflicts may happen when both are in place.
16. DiffServ: Diffserv class map set acl type must be ??standard IP?? or ??extended IP??.
17. LAG interfaces are not included in "Create Vlan" screen. In order to assign a Vlan to a LAG
interface, need to go to Edit Vlan screen.
18. In order to have a good display effect, it is suggested that screen resolution should be set
1024*768 or higher.
19. Saving configure or auto save configure by Web GUI, if device is rebooted or powered off
before configure saving finished, the current configure might be lost or configure file destroyed.
(Note: it takes about 6~60 seconds to finish save configure file to flash, dependent on the size
of different configure file.)