[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Feb 25 04:51:38 MST 2006

Inline...

> Interesting,
>
> So are there any sort of specifications to look for?  What your talking
> about does not sound like a managed vs unmanaged issue.  More like cheap
> crap vs half decent.  I would never want any switch to drop packets VoIP or
> not.  Does not sound like QoS could help resolve that or jitter if the
> conflicting packets both have SIP priority.

The managed vs unmanaged part of that is that you have no way to determine
what is going on within a switch if its unmanaged. For example, every time
a cat5 cable is interrupted (regardless of whether its a reboot of the device
or someone mucking with a cable) the switch port (and the device) attempt
to renegotiate the half vs full duplex. The final choice is incorrect a
very large percentage of the time and the end result is significantly
reduced throughput. Without being able to "see" what the switch is using
you have no idea what's going on other then sometimes throughput is okay
and the next its not. (Part of that problem relates to both the device and
the switch negotiating duplex at the exact same time guessing at how the
other end is configured, which it is attempting to guess as well.)

Same basic issue with congestion... if one (or more device(s) on a switch
attempts to save large excel spreadsheets at the same time one or more
sip phones are communicating, you'll end up with port congestion and no
way to "see" it. As for "I would never want any switch to drop packets",
that's a nice objective but layer-2 switches don't have any way to truly
apply back-pressure to the source devices to tell them to slow down.
That's sort of what QoS attempts to address.

There are three _basic_ ways that QoS is implemented in switches:
A) designate a QoS priority on a switch "per port" level (which implies
you can't use the dual-ethernet port on many sip phones(, or,
B) designate traffic at the udp/tcp port number level, or,
C) designate traffic by TOS bits in the IP header.

The more expensive managed switches allow the engineer to chose from
the above, AND, chose the queuing mechanism to be used for managing
the quality (and the choice of queuing mechanism _does_ have a major
impact when multiple priorities exist within a company's network.

The less expensive switches with QoS typically implement choice "A"
only.

Using some of the Cisco switches as an example, there are some
workgroup switches that only support _three_ priority levels within
the QoS mechanism, while higher end products allow seven levels.

So, you can take the typical Sys Admin approach and blame quality
problems on all kinds of other things that the poor customer doesn't
understand, but that you've created due to lack of knowledge and the
inability to "see" what's happening that is impacting the network
infrastructure. (Sometimes you _can_ luck out and come up with an
unmanaged config that is acceptable, but you'll never know why.)

Our company loves that kind of approach and it contributes heavily
towards our net performance assessment income. :)

Of coarse, if you're selling asterisk into small environments and
_never_ sell into large networks, you might get by with your approach.

> Managed switches used to imply higher quality but I think we are starting to
> see cheap and crappy managed switches coming onto the market.  I would still
> choose a $500 unmanaged switch over a $100 managed switch.  If the switch is
> doing it's job you should never have to view what is going on in there
> anyways.

There are pletty of managed switches on the market today that do a very good
job for the $500 and under price tag. Separating the marketing/sales fluff
from the tehcnical specifications tends to take a few minutes of reading
and understanding specs though.

"If" asterisk had some useful mechanism to report dropped/missed packets
on an end-to-end basis (which others have recently posted about), it
would go a long ways towards managing the infrastructure and somewhat reducing
the need for switch management. However, once asterisk reported a problem
you still don't know what the source of the problem is in a multi-switch
environment nor how to fix it. (That's where products like NetIQ's voip
assessment product (for about $25k) and switch management helps a bunch.)